Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thankful


In case you need a reminder, Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Japan. The Pilgrims and Indians didn't make a pit stop in Tokyo after a lovely meal in Plymouth. I talked to a few people who were surprised I wasn't getting the Thursday off over here...

Since Tori and Claire were going to be here over the holiday we thought we`d have our own Turkey Day. So, I invited everyone I knew in my little town, both foreign and Japanese, over for dinner. Everyone brought something and we had a very international, very eclectic group, producing an amazing meal.

We had chicken not turkey, (Japan doesn't do turkey) stuffing, gravy, and cranberries, shipped from the US, green beans, salad, mashed potatoes, rolls, sweet potato pie and amazingly, pumpkin pie from Costco. We held hands before dinner and Kim said a lovely little grace, then it was time to eat. We didn't go around and have everyone speak, mostly because English was not everyone's first language. Instead we set up a wall where people could write what they were thankful for. Last year I wrote pages and pages of what I am thankful for. You can check that out, here. And while I meant every word, I thought this year I would step back and listen to others.



Appreciative people, surrounded by great food and great company, their is a reason why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. 


Thankful, 
Kate

[The Latest]



Must Read: This is more of a must watch, powerful. Two Lesbians Raised A Baby And This Is What They Got 

Google search: Simple cheesecake recipes 

Tune: You Make Me Feel By Cobra Starship
Accomplishment: Coming up with an idea I'm excited to put into action, vague I know, when it gets going I`ll share more. 
Obsessions: The Family Stone movie, buying red, green and white things, Straight No Chaser`s Christmas Album

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...